...Connect with others and build spiritual friendships
1. Fireside Gathering - Sundays - June 13 - ??? - 5:30 pm @ the Fire Pit (Fellowship Hall in case of rain) Gather with friends for a casual, summer-vibe worship service - Sunday evenings at 5:30 pm on the back lawn. Bring a lawn chair and food to share (snacks or actual food). We’ll supply the drinks and plates so that we can eat while we worship. Pastor Tish Bowman (firstname.lastname@example.org) 517-994-8545
2. Grief Share - Mondays - June 7 - August 30, 6:30-8:30 pm @ Congregational Church A Support group for help and encouragement after the death of a spouse, child, family member, or friend. The group is lead by Pastor April Barrett. Pastor Tish attends and is there to support those who wish to participate. Pastor Tish Bowman (email@example.com) 517-994-8545
3. Portland Duffers – Thursdays, May 6 through September 23 @ 9:30am Calling all golfers—join us for a fun round of ‘Best Ball Golf Scramble.’ Tee times are 9:30 am, please arrive no latter than 9:10am. Go to https://www.portlandumc.org/portland-duffers.html for dates and courses and pricing information. Courses played: Centennial in Sunfield, Huckleberry in Pewamo, Willow Wood, and Portland C.C. Bill Almy (firstname.lastname@example.org) 616-540-0917
MASKS OPTIONAL AT ALL EVENTS
...Serve our church, our community, and our world.
4. Book Study - Unafraid: Living With Courage and Hope in Uncertain Times – Thursdays—June 10 through July 15 (no July 1 mtg.) @ 6:30 - 8:00 pm church back yard (Esther Room in case of rain) You’d be hard-pressed to overstate the extent to which fear, anxiety, and worry permeate our lives today. Fear wreaks havoc on our relationships and communities. It leads us into making bad decisions. It holds us back from the very pursuits that promise fulfillment and joy.
As the senior pastor of a large, diverse church in America’s heartland, Adam Hamilton has seen the cost of fear up close. When he surveyed his congregation on how fear affects them, 2,400 people responded—and what they said was eye-opening. Eighty percent admitted to living with moderate or significant levels of fear.
Unafraid is Hamilton's insightful and impassioned response. Drawing on recent research, inspiring real-life examples, and fresh biblical insight, Hamilton uses a mixture of facts and faith to help readers understand and counter fears related to such outsize perils as death and illness, as well as the everyday anxieties all of us encounter. He invites us to:
Face our fears with a bias of hope
Examine our fears in light of the facts
Attack our anxieties with action
Release our cares to God
Writing with generosity and intelligence, Hamilton shows how believer and unbeliever alike can develop sustaining spiritual practices and embrace Jesus’s recurring counsel: “Do not be afraid.” For anyone struggling with fear or wondering how families and communities can thrive in troubled times, Unafraid offers an informed and inspiring message full of practical solutions. Bring a lawn chair, your book and your Bible (app). Read chapters 1-4 before our first meeting. Pastor Tish Bowman (email@example.com) 517-994-8545 4. Bible Study - TBD - August Watch for details. If there is a specific topic or study you would like to do, please let us know! Pastor Tish Bowman (firstname.lastname@example.org) 517-994-8545
MASKS OPTIONAL AT ALL EVENTS ...Serve our church, our community, and our world.
5. PUMC’s Prayer Team – Weekly Receive texts or emails (your choice) from our Prayer Chain coordinator with an update on how to pray for our church and with prayer requests from the congregation. Office Phone 517-647-4649 during office hours or Pastor Tish 517-994-8545 6. Worship Support Team – Once, Monthly, or as Fill-In Serve your church as a greeter, usher, set-up help (outdoor worship). You will be contacted to select area of service and week of the month. Connie Almy (email@example.com) 616-443-9436 (Greeters & Ushers) 7. Media Team - Weekly, Monthly or as Fill-In Like to shoot videos? What about video editing? Are you good at running tech (or do you want to learn?)? We are looking for people to help us produce our weekly online and in person worship experiences. Let us know you can help! Pastor Tish Bowman (firstname.lastname@example.org) 517-994-8545 8. Caring Friends - Monthly Visitation Schedule - Various Times (June—September) Help our home bound friends still feel connected to the church through this ministry of visitation. Each Caring Friend makes one visit or phone call per month for the semester. Pastor Tish Bowman (email@example.com) 517-994-8545 9. 4th of July Servant Evangelism Team - July 4 - Portland Parade Route Help coordinate or participate in this servant evangelism project. We will set up stations to pass out bottled water to people watching the parade and at the end of the parade to participants. This is a simple way to tell the community that God loves them and so do we. Pastor Tish Bowman (firstname.lastname@example.org) 517-994-8545 10. Red Mill Community Days Team - August 28 - Red Mill Grounds - All Day Event Join the team to plan our ’splash event’ at the Red Mill Community Days. This is a great opportunity for our church to get out in the community and meet people in a fun setting. Our chief goal is to let people know who we are and to tell them that God loves them. Pastor Tish Bowman (email@example.com) 517-994-8545 11. Servant Evangelism Project @ Band Shell Concerts Be God’s love in action on this team that will hand out treats at the weekly Band Shell concerts this summer. It’s a fun way to love our community, meet people and get our information out into the public. Pastor Tish Bowman (firstname.lastname@example.org) 517-994-8545
You may register on the form below for any of the 11 events in our catalog or email or phone the contact person listed with the event.