This Fall we are offering over 20 different groups! Each group is featured in this Group Source catalog which will give you a group description, dates and times, as well as leader, and contact information. But don’t worry, sign-up will be easy; simply use your Connection Card on Sunday morning or use the sign-up form at the end of this catalog.
I am excited about the way in which God is using this new system of doing small groups to ignite authentic life in Christ in the lives of those in our church and beyond. The Spirit is on the move at PUMC! See you in a group! (or two, or three…!) - Pastor Tish
Please note: A sign-up form is given in the blue shaded box at the end of the catalog information.
Connect with others and build spiritual friendships.
1. Membership Exploration – Scheduled as needed Interested in learning more about the ministries of PUMC? This is the ticket for you. Indicate your interest, and we will set up an appointment to meet with the pastor to learn about our commitment to prayer, presence, gift sharing, service, and witness. Those who do so are eligible for church membership, but joining is not required. Come explore membership with PUMC and its mission! Pastor Tish Bowman (firstname.lastname@example.org) 517-994-8545
2. Trunk or Treat - Sunday - 6:00 - 8:00 pm - Church Parking Lot - October 31 Be a part of our community fun event. Help is needed for organization, set-up, and service. Sign up to decorate your trunk and fill with goodies to put on display in our church parking lot! Donations of candy also welcome. More details to follow at the end of September. Vickee Balser (email@example.com) 517-647-4649
3. Blessings of the Pets - Sunday - 5:30 pm - Fireside Gathering - October 3 Bring your pets for a blessing by the Pastor! Photo ops too. Stay for the Fireside Gathering Service. You won’t be disappointed. *Treats for the animals too! Pastor Tish Bowman (firstname.lastname@example.org) 517-994-8545
4. The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe - Thursdays - 6:30 pm - Feldpausch Home @ 6316 Gibbs Road - October 7-28
Who: People of all ages are welcome.
What: A hybrid book club during the month of October reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. We will meet on Thursday evenings in person to discuss, or you can join in on the PUMC Community page. A discussion room can be opened on Facebook for those who wish to chat but not meet in person. Due to the presence of kids under 12 years old, this group will be an outdoor bonfire style group. Please dress accordingly, and bring a mask for any indoor needs. This group will be able to meet virtually if there is inclement weather.
Where: The Feldpausch home around the bonfire pit at 6316 Gibbs Rd. in Portland.
When: October 7th through 28th at 6:30 pm. Please read chapters 1-4 before October 7th, and be ready to discuss.
Additional Information: The Portland District Library uses the Libby App for digital checkouts. There are audio copies that can be borrowed; however, they are currently checked out. Please contact Beth Feldpausch with any questions or if you need assistance obtaining a copy of the book. Hot coco will be provided at the book club meetings. Please bring a chair, and feel free to bring a snack.
Grow in your relationship with God and in the character of Christ.
5. Cancer and The Lord’s Prayer - Mondays - 4:00 - 5:00 pm, Church Lounge - September 13 for 10 weeks We will be inspired to see how our day to day story intersects with God’s Grand plan for us today. Linda Sandborn (email@example.com) 517-899-9848
6. James: Mercy Triumphs - Wednesdays - 6:30 pm, Esther Room - September 29 The Wednesday Night Study Group invites you to join us as we learn from the Book of James using a video study from Beth Moore. James begins his letter by outlining some general characteristics of Christian life and exhorts Christians to act justly in society. This letter could be considered a “how to” book on Christian living. James, Jesus' own brother, started out as a skeptic but a glimpse of the resurrected Savior turned an unbeliever into a disciple. Topics in this study include: joy, hardship, faith, reversal of fortunes for rich and poor, wisdom, gifts from above, single-mindedness, the dangers of the tongue, humility, and prayer. Read James and become a DOER of the Word! Carol McLane (firstname.lastname@example.org) 517-526-3608
7. Coffee & Conversation - 10:45 - 11:45 am - Zoom - October 3 thru December 19 Zoom into a deeper dive into the topic of the day’s sermon. Share your questions and inspiration with others as we seek to live the message in daily life. Contact pastor for your Zoom link. Pastor Tish Bowman, email@example.com, 517-994-8545
8. Advent Study - Sundays - 10:00 - 11:00 am - Esther Room - November 28 thru December 19 Rediscover the True Wonder of Christmas. The Christmas season is always filled with wonder, but this year rediscover the true wonder of Christmas by sharing the love of Christ with others. This four-week study centers on looking to the Christmas story and the stories of real people today to find inspiration and ideas for reflecting the light of Jesus at Christmas time and throughout the entire year. Chapters include:
9. The Apple Sauce Project - On hold this year Let’s make apple sauce and stock the local food pantry! Our hope is to enjoy good company, work hard, laugh a lot, and enjoy a pot luck together. People of all ages are welcome, you may even bring a friend or two. Dan & Kacy Goeckel (firstname.lastname@example.org)
10. Backpacks for Bellies - Watch for possible volunteer opportunities later this fall, Covid permitting This is a community endeavor to make sure that local school children have enough to eat on weekends and when school is not in session. PUMC has given space for the storage of food items, as well as a place to sort and pack food items for Friday deliveries to the Portland schools. Michele VanSlambrouck email@example.com) 517-285-6518
11. 2nd Thursday Meals - September - December Due to Covid we have changed our ministry a bit this year. Instead of serving meals in our Fellowship Hall, we will deliver them to our homebound friends. Help to plan, cook, and/or deliver. It’s a wonderful way to share the love of Jesus in a concrete way. Sherry Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org) 517-285-0640 Linda Sandborn (email@example.com) 517-899-9848
12. UMW - Temporarily on hold due to Covid The United Methodist Women (UMW) is a community of women whose purpose is to know God and help others know Him too! This group is open to all women, and all women are invited. Two of the best benefits of our group are fun and friendship! Our focus is missions, especially local missions in our own community. We are all about helping others with meals, adopting a family at Christmastime, and helping children with payment for school lunches, to name a few. We also offer financial support to the Grand Rapids United Methodist Community House and to the needs in other countries through our UMW district. We like to come up with a new mission project every few months and are looking for new ways to help others. To financially help do these things, we have a few fundraisers during the year. Jan Mosser (firstname.lastname@example.org) 517-647-6458
13. PUMC’s Prayer Team - Weekly Receive a weekly e-mail from our Prayer Chain coordinator with an update on how to pray for our church and with prayer requests from the congregation. Pastor Tish Bowman (email@example.com) 517-994-8545 Vickee Balser (firstname.lastname@example.org) 517-647-4649 14. Worship Support Team - once monthly, or as fill-in Serve your church as a greater, usher, or communion server. You will be contacted to select area of service and Sunday of the month. Connie Almy (email@example.com) 616-443-9436 15. Media Team - Weekly — Year Round 9:00 am Service Have a good ear for music but don’t play an instrument or sing? How about running a sound board or the computer. Help with inputting the weekly service into the computer for projection. Help with picture-taking for events, services, programs & anything we can use for our web site and Facebook Page. Pastor Tish Bowman (firstname.lastname@example.org) 517-994-8545
16. Worship Design Team - Wednesdays - 8:10 - 9:10 pm (most weeks) - Via Zoom Join our team of creative worship planners as we brainstorm sermon series themes, interactive elements, music and video ideas. Each person brings their own set of gifts to the table and we are always looking for someone new to spur u son to better and better worship. Pastor Tish Bowman, email@example.com, 517-994-8545
17. Annual Turkey Dinner - T.B.D. Plans are underway for our Annual Turkey Dinner. This year we hope to collaborate with the VFW. Date, location, and other details are yet to be determined. Watch for more information and sign up to help prep, cook, serve, etc. As always, many hands will make light work and increase the fun of working together! Connie Almy (firstname.lastname@example.org) 616—443-9436
Opportunities for Middle School and High School Students
18. In Person Group Study - One Sunday Per Month
Who: Middle School and High School students.
What: In- person dinner, games and discussion. This is our monthly opportunity to have fun, catch up on each other’s lives, and have quality time while discussing the weekly content sent through Flocknote. This semester we will be focusing on “Half Truths” by Adam Hamilton.
When: September 19th and October 24th 5:15 pm to 7:30 pm. November 21st and December 19th 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm.
Where: The September and October events will be held at the Feldpausch home, 6316 Gibbs Td. Portland. The November and December events will be held at the church in the Esther Room.
Why: To connect with each other and invest in our youth.
What: Weekly content sent through Flocknote designed to help us ask relevant questions and become better Christians. We will be studying “Half Truths” by Adam Hamilton for the months of October and November.
When: Content will be sent out on Sunday evenings.
Where: Flocknote. If you are not signed up for Flocknote you can text to join by texting the keyword JOINPUMC to 84576.
Why: To introduce thought provoking questions, verses and inspiration for our students and leaders every week. Students and leaders are welcome to leave comments or questions on Flocknote or they can message Beth directly through text or email.
20. Seedlings Nursery - Currently closed due to Covid Parents are invited to keep children in worship or worship with them from the Welcome Center. Coloring packets available upon request. Mary Bresnahan (email@example.com) 517-526-7571
21. Sunday School - Sundays - 5:30 pm - Fireside Gathering (Esther room if weather is bad) Children K-5th grade will explore Bible stories through lessons, crafts and song! Ages 3 - 5th Grade Mary Bresnahan (firstname.lastname@example.org) 517-526-7571
22. Sunday School – Anytime - PUMC Community Online (Our Facebook Group) Children K-5th grade will interact with on-line Sunday School Activities through our online campus. Ages 3 - 5th Grade Mary Bresnahan (email@example.com) 517-526-7571
Additional dates for Portland, Michigan Community Events
Farmer’s Market at the Old Red Mill - 349 N. Water Street - Now through October—9am-1pm (Saturdays)
Labor Day—September 6, 2021 (Monday)
Halloween—October 31, 2021 (Sunday)
Thanksgiving—November 25, 2021 (Thursday)
Christmas Eve—December 24, 2021 (Friday)
You may register on the sign-up form below for any of the events in our catalog or email or phone the contact person listed with the event.