Serve Groups -- Serve our church, our community, and our world.
Browse through our Fall 2019 Serve Group listings below; then click on the Groups Source and Registration Form button to register for the group number of your choice. Or, contact the source person if you have questions. You may wish to check out the Connect, Grow, Youth, or Sunday School/Nursery Groups as well.
12.The Apple Sauce Project -- Saturday, November 2 @ 9 am - 2 pm - Church Kitchen Let’s make apple sauce and stock the local food pantry! Our hope is to enjoy good company, work hard, laugh a lot, and enjoy a pot luck together. People of all ages are welcome, you may even bring a friend or two.
13. Backpacks for Bellies -- Weekly @ 9:30 am - Youth Area This is a community endeavor to make sure that local school children have enough to eat on weekends and when school is not in session. PUMC has given space for the storage of food items, as well as a place to sort and pack food items for Friday deliveries to the Portland schools. They meet on Wednesday evenings and Thursday mornings to get the bags ready for distribution to the schools on Fridays. Volunteers are welcome. The UMW helps on the first Thursday of each month. Michele VanSlambrouck, President (firstname.lastname@example.org), 517-285-6518
14. Cass Community Services Mission Trip -- Meets All Day on October 12 Cass Community Social Services, located in Detroit, started as part of Cass Community Methodist Episcopal Church in the 1930’s. It works across the city of Detroit addressing the needs of the poverty stricken and homeless and provides programs for food, health, housing and jobs. We will spend a day, 9 am - 4 pm, helping with whatever their current needs may be.
15. UMW Fudge Making -- date & time TBD A fundraising event for all the outreach ministries of the UMW. Have you ever wanted to learn how to make fudge? Or are you great at making packages look festive? Let us know that you are interested in helping out with this great group of ladies. We will contact you with the date and time!
16. UMW -- First Thursday of the month - Starts Sept. 5 @ 9:30 am The United Methodist Women (UMW) is a community of women whose purpose is to know God and help others know Him too! This group is open to all women, and all women are invited. Two of the best benefits of our group are fun and friendship! Our focus is missions, especially local missions in our own community. We are all about helping others with community meals, adopting a family at Christmastime, and helping children with payment for school lunches, to name a few. We also offer financial support to the Grand Rapids United Methodist Community House and to the needs in other countries through our UMW district. We like to come up with a new mission project every few months and are looking for new ways to help others. To financially help do these things, we have a few fundraisers during the year. We are currently offering placemats for sale featuring Portland buildings and scenery. Our meetings are held on the first Thursday of each month except July and August. Hope to see you there!
20. Hospitality Team -- Once per month for the semester (September - January) Provide food for, or serve in, our Welcome Center on Sunday mornings. You will be contacted to select date(s) or call the church office.
23. Choir -- Weekly September - May Join our choir in providing music for worship at our 9:00 am service on the 2nd & 4th Sunday of the month. Choir Practice is every Wednesday from 7:00 to 7:30 pm in the Fellowship Hall.
25. Bell Choir -- Dates and times to be determined Attention all bell lovers! Are you a bell ringer or would you like to be a bell ringer? We are looking to reinvigorate the Bell Choir ministry. The church is working with a potential new director, so indicate your interest on the Connection Card and watch for details to come!
26. Caring Friends -- Monthly Visitation Schedule - Various Times (October—January) Help our home bound friends still feel connected to the church through this ministry of visitation. Each Caring Friend makes one visit per month for the semester.
27. Media Team --- Weekly - Year Round @ 9 am or 11:15 am Service Have a good ear for music but don’t play an instrument or sing? How about running a sound board, the computer, or the video camera. Help with inputting the weekly service into the computer for projection. Help with picture-taking for events, services, programs & anything we can use for our web site and Facebook Page.
28. 2nd Thursday Meals -- Monthly - September – December @ 6-7:30 pm Plan, cook, serve, fellowship or help cleanup for this monthly meal for Food Bank clients. It’s wonderful to share the love of Jesus in a concrete way.